Thursday, November 3, 2011

Père Lachaise

One place that I wanted to go on my last Paris visit was the famous Père Lachaise cemetery, so I was excited to get the chance to make my visit this time around. What they say is true -- you could spend hours here and never find the graves you wish to visit, even with a map. We spent about 95% of our time being lost and wandering and the other 5% actually seeing the graves we were seeking.

Wandering and being lost turned out to be a nice option anyway because since I always had my eyes peeled for famous names, I saw details I might not have noticed otherwise. 
For instance, every cemetery needs a black cat.


Jim Morrison

Abelard and Heloise

The same black cat?

Yves Montand and Simone Signoret

Gertrude Stein

One of our main goals was to find the grave of Oscar Wilde, but we'll have to make another visit because it was being restored. So much for showing our appreciation.

I'll be better prepared next time, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment