Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Betty Jean and Me

This past weekend, I went with my family to Yorba Linda, California for the funeral of my Great Aunt Luella, the sister of my paternal grandmother. I had a wonderful time visiting with family, learning more about Luella and my family's history, and discovering old photographs. Since my grandmother, Betty Jean Hikes Anderson, passed away when I was only six years old, I have very few memories of her. Looking through all of the photographs of her as a young girl made me wonder more than ever what she was really like -- before becoming a wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.

Betty Jean and Luella

Betty Jean as a baby. For those who have yet to see my niece Nicaea, so far she looks a lot like my grandma as a baby. There is another picture of my grandma at age two and we all agreed that she looks like Nicaea with a wig on.

Betty Jean and me. When my dad came across this picture of my grandma, he held it up next to my face and said that he thought she looked like me. I don't see much of a resemblance between me and other pictures of her, but I do see a little of myself here.

I've always had a connection to my grandma through the violin that we share,
but it's nice to share a face too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment